Thursday, October 11, 2007

Injury...sort of!

Hey Joy...got a question of interest for you!

I was playing basketball today when someone ran into me right when I was going for a rebound. You guys know what its like to have your elbow go to sleep right...that tingly feeling! Well, as soon as soon as my head hit the ground, My whole nervous system had that tingly feeling for a couple of seconds and then it went away! From your medical perspective, what happened that caused this tingly feeling shoot through my entire body??

Just to let you guys know...I am ok...and almost as important...I hung on to the basketball even when I hit the ground!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

nerd.

Wandering Family said...

Brian, I had a similar experience once when I was a kid. I went for a rebound, but so did another, much bigger kid. His elbow hit me in the ear, but instead of tingling I got knocked out cold. Spent a couple days in the hospital, since I had some internal bleeding in my skull.

I didn't do as well as you, though - I definitely didn't hang on to the ball.

83rocketscientist said...

Yeah...I know what you mean! What's funny is that I used to play basketball with a bunch of winers who constantly complain about how they get fouled! Ya know...getting slapped on the hand when shooting or getting bumped a little. I don't care what they say.... NOTHING... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING compares to playing in the paint, especially if you are an effective scorer in the paint.

I have been hit in the jaw so many times that I will buy a mouth piece before I play next week. I have been hit in the face with the ball so hard that my glasses went flying half way across the court. We once played with some people who would reach out their hand and push me as I was making a cut underneath the basket...as a matter of fact, that happened last week also. Once, some one grabbed my arms, pulled them down, and then grabbed the ball and stripped it.

What I think is funny is that they complain about how physical I play. Well, all I have to say is that I learned from the best...in addition...how are you supposed to play the post without being physical??? Despite my aggressive style of play, none of them talk about how I foul constantly...hmmm wonder why???

Well, that was lengthy...but this is a safe place to vent out some frustration....

And Jesse....I don't think I would have held on to the ball if I got knocked out either!!!! Remember that the body heals but the score lasts forever!!! :D

Carroll said...

that's why the only sports I play are the Playstation kind...