Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Human Brain is truely amazing!

Have you guys thought about how the human brain interprets color? More specifically, how it can see patterens of colors and identify objects based on these patterens! Here is a great example of how wonderful the human brain is. Have you ever looked at a picture of someone when they were a child...and thought...I know who that is! Your brain has somehow recongnized certain patterens or certin similarities that have not changed with age based on the colors your eyes see.

So what has made me think such strange and crazy thoughts!!! Well, my thesis envolves taking taking a video of a ball, and finding and identifiying the particular sections of color placed on the ball! My code is in the final stages of development and now is so complicated that it takes a whole hour to identify the necessary patches on 10 frames of video!

Let me put some perspective on this value. Think of a frame as an image. Most movies you watch display about 25-30 images a second, or frames per second. Your brain manages to process these sequential images in one second. Furthermore, your brain can identify that an object in this 'video' is a flower, a picture, a friend, or a globe simply based on the colors your eyes see! Contrast this to the code I have written. It processes only 10 frames every hour! I can only find the colors on the ball for very specifically defined cases!

Well if you understand what I have said...or you are still reading this...you are to be praised. Turns out, this problem is a very difficult yet important problem. You guys have seen irobot with the robots walking around, sitting on a couch, or firing a weapon. A robot MUST know how to take a sequence of colors and identify shapes and objects in order to find the couch to sit on, walk to a destination, or aim a weapon. This, to me, is the most important problem in artificial intellegence, even more difficult then programing behaviors!

So what is the point? It has just been a good reminder that we are fearfully and wonderfully made! I don't know how God figured this stuff out....but he did a pretty good job!

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yeah,I was praised for that whole post!! But, yes, it is interesting and amazin.

azulalegria said...

Brian it truely is amazing - I completely agree, even though I don't really understand what all you do in your project :-)

Amy Glendinning said...

I love to learn about how amazing the human body is! On a simpler level, I love to think about how a photograph can never be as good as what the eye can see. :D God is amazing!

babyarnie said...

I'm so glad that God made people like you to figure it all out for the rest of us who it makes our brains hurt. Yes, God is pretty amazing.

83rocketscientist said...

Martha...the fact of the matter is that you are smart as well. I get annoyed by the fact that you think my mind is above everyone else.

You are a student of biology, and most biological systems are more complex then anything I will probably ever build!

Rachael said...

Wow, evolution must have been really smart when it spit us out of the ocean just after the alien life forms from another planet placed us here to evolve. hehe.

I already miss the Truth Project.

Carroll said...

wow. That just made my brain hurt a little... ; )